Safety improvement programs typically pay for themselves in the end, especially in manufacturing environments. However, assistance in bearing the burden of the initial cost can help these projects move along. For qualifying Minnesota employers, that assistance could be to the tune of $10,000.
The Safety Grant Program from the Workplace Safety Consultation was announced by the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry. It awards up to $10,000 to qualifying employers to fund projects that are designed to reduce the risk of injury and illness to their workers. If there are more qualified applicants than there is availability of funds, priority is awarded to:
- Projects impacting facilities that provide goods production, manufacturing, or processing jobs for a considerable portion of workers in the area
- Projects for sites where jobs are in jeopardy or have been lost as a result of safety issues that are resolved in the proposal
- Businesses that are within the current focus of the Minnesota OSHA Workplace Safety Consultation strategic plan and Minnesota OSHA Compliance strategic plan
Employers have to meet the following conditions to qualify for the grant:
- Possess workers’ compensation insurance
- Must fall under the jurisdiction of MN OSHA
- A qualified safety professional has performed and on-site inspection complete with a written report and recommendations based on the inspection
- The project is consistent with those recommendations and reduces the identified risk of injury or disease to employees
- The employer has both the experience and knowledge to complete the project as well as a commitment to its implementation
- Employer has to be able to match the grant money awarded, and all the estimated costs have to be covered
- The project has to comply with applicable federal, state, and local regulations; it must also be supported by all public entities involved
Some of the most significant safety issues in manufacturing are related to forklift accidents and manual material handling injuries. Battery-powered tugs are cost-effective, practical solutions to both concerns. Not only do they drastically improve safety, but also they increase productivity considerably. When they replace forklifts, you end up paying a fraction of what it costs to annually maintain your equipment.
To discuss the numerous applications a power tug will have in your safety improvement program, contact Load Mover Inc. We fit the right tug to each task for maximum benefits. Call us at 952-767-1720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.